6 of the Most Famous Hollywood Cars of All Time
Hollywood is known for many things throughout the years. One of the most iconic memorabilia from Hollywood is the cars used in certain shows and movies. We have compiled a list of the 6 Most Famous Hollywood Cars of All Time. Which cars do you think made the cut?
6. Echto-1 Ghostbusters: This iconic “boat” was made by Cadillac. It weighs 3.5 tons, is 27 feet long and 7 feet wide.
5. Aston Martin DB5- Goldfinger: Known as one of the greatest British cars ever made. 4.0 liter straight six engine that produces 282 horsepower.
4. General Lee- Dukes of Hazard: Probably the most memorable Hollywood car. The 1969 Dodge Charger painted in Orange. The show created a large demand for the 69 Chargers. The only problem was that so many were destroyed during the filming that there was not enough supply to keep up with the demand. The original car used in the show is now owned by Golfer Bubba Watson.
3. K.I.T.T – Knight Rider: K.I.T.T which stands for Knight Industries Two Thousand was a voice activated 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am that was technology advanced back in the 1980’s. It was known as the “Amazon Alexa” of the 1980’s. K.I.T.T. was up for auction in 2021 for a reserve price of $975,000.
2. Batmobile – Batman: The original classic first appeared in the 1960’s Batman Series and was based on an Oldsmobile 88. Several years later another version appeared based on the Lincoln Futura. Unfortunately, the original Batmobile was left abandoned and rusting in a field for decades before it was rescued and restored. The 1980’s Batmobile version driven by Michael Keaton is currently owned by the owner of Chick-Fil-A restaurants and is on display at their corporate offices in Atlanta, GA.
1. DeLorean- Back to the Future: The only car that was made of stainless steel and only came in one color. The DeLorean’s were very heavy because of the stainless-steel bodies making them very sluggish. They take 11 seconds to reach 60mph. Six of the original cars used in the movie still exist today.
Have you ever wondered where the classic iconic cars seen in Hollywood movies come from? Well, there is an actual company in Los Angeles called Cinema Vehicles. Cinema Vehicles specializes in supplying Hollywood with specialty vehicles to be used in movies, commercials and tv shows. They have been in business for over 40 years and still going strong.
What happens to all of the cars used in movies and tv shows after the filming is over. Well, each vehicle has a different fate in Hollywood. As you know many cars get destroyed in movies such as The Fast and the Furious. Many of the destroyed cars in the movie ended up in museums. Some of them ended up with a cast member or producer who keeps it as part of their Hollywood Memorabilia collection. However, the rare and expensive cars that are destroyed in movies are not really “rare and expensive.” From a distance, they look rare and expensive. They look like the real thing to the audience. However, these cars are just props that are made to look like really expensive cars. They usually get the cars they plan to destroy from salvage yards. They fix them up only to the point where they run and then the outer body is usually covered with a vinyl wrap that makes them look like expensive cars. The reality is that the destroyed cars only cost a few hundred dollars! Think about it, movie production companies are in business to make money not to destroy really expensive vehicles.
So there you have it. A short behind-the-scenes tour of the 6 Most Famous Hollywood Cars of All Time.