16 Cat Facts You Won’t Believe
Calling all cat lovers out there. Our furry friends are very unique in their own ways. You will be surprised when you read the facts that we discovered about your furry friends. Here is the list we compiled of 16 Cat Facts You Won’t Believe
16. Cats can drink saltwater.
15. Cats can detect earthquake tremors 10 to 15 minutes before humans can.
14. A cat’s nose has a unique imprint just like a human’s fingerprint.
13. Cats cannot chew large chunks of food because their jaws cannot move sideways.
12. Cats usually have 12 whiskers on each side of their face.
11. Cats hate water because their fur does not insulate well when it’s wet.
10. Cats cannot detect sweetness due to a genetic deficiency.
9. Most cats are lactose intolerant and should not drink milk.
8. A healthy cat can jump 6 times its body length in a single bound.
7. A cat’s sense of smell is 14 times better than humans.
6. A group of cats is known as a “clowder”.
5. Cats are able to rotate their ears 180 degrees.
6. Male cats are usually left=paw dominate while female cats are usually right-paw dominant.
5. On average cats sleep between 12-16 hours per day which comes to about 70% of their lives.
6. Cats cannot see directly under their noses.
5. Most cats do not have eyelashes.
4. A cat’s development in their first year of life is equivalent to the development of a human in their first 15 years of life.
3. A cat can travel up to 31 miles per hour at top speed.
2. The most popular Pedigree Cat is the Persian Cat followed by the Main Coon Cat and the Siamese Cat.
1. Some cats have survived falls of over 65 feet.
As you know society is divided between cat lovers and dog lovers. A recent study discovered that cats are more popular than dogs in 91 countries around the world. Dogs turned out to be more popular than cats in 76 countries throughout the world. The countries with the highest number of dog lovers are the US, Australia and the UK. A recent scientific study also found that dogs love their owners 5 times more than cats do!
Having a cat as a pet does have many benefits. For starters, cats are very low maintenance. They do not require much exercise and they are perfect for people who live in apartments with limited space and without backyards.
Secondly, cats are very quiet. You will never have to worry about a cat interrupting you while you are on a video conference call for work. Also, if you have small children who nap you won’t have to worry about cats waking up the children.
Third, cats are independent. They entertain themselves and do not rely on their owners to entertain them. Actually, cats do not like constant interaction and attention from humans.
Fourth, cats have long life spans. On average cats are known to live up to 20 years.
Fifth, cats help keep your house free of pests. They like to hunt for rodents as well as insects.
There are also several health benefits of owning cats. Researchers have proven that cats are known to reduce stress and anxiety levels. Supposedly a cat’s purr can help calm your nervous system. In addition, cats can help overcome the feeling of loneliness for those that live alone.
How many of you own or have owned both cats and dogs? Which do you prefer? Do cats and dogs really get along in the same household? There are many rumors out there about cats and dogs being rivals however I have come across many households that own both cats and dog at the same time without any issues.
So there you have it, 16 Cat Facts that You Won’t Believe.